Service Records Request

North Carolina Army National Guard service personnel records requests will be requested through the G1 records office. The function of the G1 records office is to process North Carolina Army National Guard personnel service records requests for former, separated members of the NCARNG. We have provided you with a direct phone number, fax, and email address for your convenience below at the bottom of this webpage.

Actively Drilling NCARNG members must contact their unit of assignment to request military records that are not available or present in their IPERMS (Official Military Personnel File) record.

Actively drilling NCARNG members will submit Statement of Service and Employment verification requests to their unit of assignment for service verification. Statement of Service and Employment verification requests submitted to G1 will be processed and coordinated through the member's unit of assignment.


How Do I Submit a Request for Personnel Service Records Pertaining to North Carolina Army National Guard Service?

You may e-mail, mail or fax a Service Records Request by submitting a completed Standard Form 180 (SF 180, "Request Pertaining to Military Records"). Your request will be fulfilled in the order in which it is received. Please allow up to 30 calendar days for delivery of your records. (Note: IAW AR 25-400-2 paragraph 10-4, SF-180 is required to obtain your military records.)

Standard Form 180, Revision date 11/2015, with an expiration date of 04/30/2021, is the current and only version of the SF-180 that will be accepted to process personnel records requests. 

Government Agencies Requesting Personnel Record Information (Third Parties), in addition to a completed SF-180 form, government agencies (such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Social Security Administration (SSA), etc.) are required to submit a completed SF-86-1 Form, "Authorization For Release of Information" (form attached to SF 180) IAW AR 600-8-104.

Both forms SF-180 and SF-86-1, are located at the bottom of this page. Please thoroughly read the instructions on page 1, specifically paragraph 2, of the SF-180. All requests for personnel service records on SF-180 must be clear as to what documents are being requested.

For personnel service records that cannot be located by G1 Records on a former NCARNG service member, the former member will need to reference page 3 of the SF-180 to determine the agency and mailing addresses to request personnel service records. For other records requests, (including Active Army and all other branches) please see page 3 of the SF 180 for appropriate agency and mailing addresses.

Traditional ARNG members do not receive a DD Form 214 upon separation; they receive an NGB Form 22 and a Discharge/Separation Order. For NGB-22 requests, on SF Form 180, Section II, please check the block, DD Form 214 or equivalent, and annotate NGB-22 in the space provided. For any other documents such as NGB Form 23, on SF Form 180, Section II, please check the block "Other," and specify what document you are requesting. If you are looking for a specific document such as an Order, please indicate the approximate year that the order or other document was published. You must indicate the purpose of your request on SF Form 180, Section II, 2, Purpose.

Please also complete Section III on SF Form 180, thoroughly and completely. Ensure any hand written information in all sections of the SF-180 is clear and legible. Missing or incomplete information within any section of the SF-180 will be cause for delay in your request. Requests of entire records to maintain as personal files will not be fulfilled. For these requests, you must send your request to the appropriate agency on page 3 of the SF 180.


Personnel Service Records requests can be emailed to:


Personnel Service Records requests can be mailed to:

North Carolina Army National Guard

ATTN: G1 Records

1636 Gold Star Drive

Raleigh, NC 27607-3171


For questions or additional information, 

please contact the North Carolina Army National Guard 

G1 Personnel Records Office 

Office: 984-664-6131

Fax: 919-733-7554


Request Your Records Online at eVetRecs


For Air Guard personnel requests, see the attached document below entitled "Personnel Records Air"